Sunday, March 16, 2008

Covenant Versus Contract

Father Stanislaus Maudlin, O.S.B.a founding member of the Blue Cloud ( Benedictine) Abbey in Marvin, South Dakota, wrote "Covenant Versus Contract" under his Indian name Wambdi Wicasa.

Bio of
Father Stanislaus Maudlin
After ordination to the priesthood in 1942 Fr Stan returned to the Dakotas and was invited to a Naming Ceremony by the Yankton Tribe. He was given the Indian name, Wambdi Wicasta, Eagle Man which name reflected his leadership capability. He then became an associate pastor with the Turtle Mountain Chippewa Tribe, Belcourt, North Dakota. For the 7 years there he wore many different hats, priest, liaison with the Tribe, scout master. In 1950 he was chosen by the archabbot of St Meinrad to be a co-founder of Blue Cloud Abbey in Marvin South Dakota.

Covenant Versus Contract
by
Wambdi Wicasa
1974


A CONTRACT is an agreement made in suspicion. The parties do not trust each other, and they set "limits" to their own responsibility. A COVENANT is an agreement made in trust. The parties love each other and put no limits on their own responsibility. Indian Leaders made Treaties with the Great White Father and called them Covenants, sealing them with the smoke of the Sacred Pipe. The trouble began when the Great White Father, his Lieutenants and Merchants, looked on the Treaties and called them Contracts. Thus began -- in the basic religious difference -- the conflict between Cultures. Other Covenants made in respect and love:


Covenant With Adam God blessed them, saying: "Be fertile and multiply: fill the earth and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and all the living things that move on the earth." God also said: "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food, and to all the animals of the land, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food." And so it happened. God looked at everything he had made, and he found it very good.


Covenant With Noah God said to Noah and to his sons with him: "See, I am now establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you and with every living creature that was with you: all the birds, and the various tame and wild animals that were with you and came out of the ark. I will establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all bodily creatures be destroyed by the waters of a flood; there shall not be another flood to devastate the earth." God added: "This is the sign that I am giving for all ages to come, of the covenant between me and you and every living creature with you: I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth."


Covenant With Abraham The Lord said to Abram: "Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father's house to a land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the communities of the earth shall find blessing in you."


Covenant With Moses "Therefore, if you hearken to my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my special possession, dearer to me than all other people, though all the earth is mine. You shall be to me a kingdom of priests, a holy nation."


Covenant In Jesus Matthew--The Beatitudes "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Men do not light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket. They set it on a stand where it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, your light must shine before men so that they may see goodness in your acts and give praise to your heavenly Father. Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter, shall be done away with until it all comes true." "Full authority has been given to me both in heaven and on earth; go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations. Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you. And know that I am with you always, until the end of the world."

No comments: